Monday, March 14, 2011

Onion Turkey Meatballs

So even though I got a Nook Color with tons of magazine subscriptions (awesome because it cuts down on the paper laying around my house) I still can't pass up a cool cooking magazine in the grocery aisle. Especially yesterday because I was in line behind a family that must have bought food for the month, the checker girl is from the automotive department, and then they had about 200 coupons- which wouldn't scan. I am a little jealous of their coupon success because they saved over $12, which the lady's husband happily pointed out that that was 4 gallons of gas! Anyway I didn't get frustrated I'm just sayin' there was a lot of time for temptation with the cooking magazines.

Sorry this is such a poor quality photo. I was being sneaky in line on my IPhone- do you see the pile of coupons the cashier is scanning? This is after they bought a billion groceries!

I settled on Taste of Home one-dish meals with 150 recipes and each recipe has a photo. (those are my favorite because you know what you are going for) I seriously stood in line for atleast 20 minutes behind these people so I found a recipe that used things I had in my cart! I usually don't like meatballs- I grew up with meat sauce and meatballs are sometimes dryish and too meaty. But these are really easy and turned out delicious!

All you need is:

1 c soft bread crumbs
1 envelope onion soup mix
1 1/2 lbs ground turkey (I only used 1)
3 cups water- divided
3 T flour

Hot cooked noodles or rice

To make your own soft bread crumbs take 2 slices of bread- one slice makes 1/2 c- tear the bread into 1 inch pieces and pulse in the food processor


Next combine half of the onion soup mix, the bread crumbs, and the ground turkey.



Make these into 1 inch balls- mine made about 22- I'm sure most people could stretch them into 24.



Brown them in batches- this took longer than I thought because you want to make sure they are cooked all the way through- I cooked mine about 10-15 minutes



After they are all browned you add 2 1/2 cups of water and the rest of the onion soup mix. Bring this to a boil then let it simmer for 10 minutes.



In a small bowl combine 1/2 c water and 3 T of flour. This part is really hard to get all the lumps out.

add it to the mixture and bring it to a bowl- let it thicken for a few minutes.


Serve over rice or noodles


This really wasn't that unhealthy of a recipe- it could definitely be modified to use whole wheat flour and served over brown rice. The onion soup mix is a little high in sodium so I just layed off of it in the noodles.


No comments:

Post a Comment