Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Easter cut out cookies

I make these cookies a few times per year. I searched for a few years for the perfect recipe. I think I have found it! The cookies are a little cakie and not too sweet.

A few things I have figured out about cut out cookies..
(this picture would not cooperate)
Try to choose some basic shapes- I wouldn't do any more than 4. Also make sure they cookie cutters aren't too detailed- this will make them easier to cut out and place on the cookie sheet and also it makes them easier to frost.

I started ditching the wax paper and I roll out the dough on the bare counter.. it was just too much trouble. When in doubt use more flour!

Refridgerate the dough prior to rolling them out. I refridgerated this over night. It makes it a lot easier to roll them out and to pick up the cut out dough to place on the cookie sheet.

I roll these out pretty thick

I only do one shape per roll out to speed things up and to fit as many as possible in the dough area. You can't roll them out too much because they will get too floury on the insides.

This is the hardest part for me to control, but I try to only use a few colors of icing- less mess and just easier.

Here are my cooled cookies- I had made 2 dozen the first night because I was trying a new icing technique and then I burned an ENTIRE DOZEN when I was making these so this recipe makes about twice this many.

Here are my finished cookies. The sheep turned out weird..


Recipes:

Casey's Cut Out Cookies
Cooking time:7-8 minutes per batch
Makes 5 or 6 dozen

1 c shortening
1 1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
4 c flour
1/2 t salt
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
6 T milk

Preheat oven to 375. Cream together shortening and sugar. Add eggs- beat well. Add vanilla. Add dry ingredients alternating with milk. Mix well. Roll out on floured board to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut out w/ cutters. Cook 7-8 minutes until hardly brown on the edges. This dough can be frozen.

Cookie Icing (I like this because it hardens quickly)

1/2 c shortening
1/4 c milk- add more if needed to thin
1 lb confectioner's sugar
1 t vanilla



No comments:

Post a Comment