Thursday, May 5, 2011

Easy Chicken and Dumplings Recipe

I want to make something cool for Cinco de Mayo tonight so be looking for another recipe post soon. Two nights ago I made this really easy Chicken and Dumplings recipe. Chicken and Dumplings has always been one of my favorite meals, but the traditional way of making the dumplings is a mess and takes a lot of time. I have experimented with the "biscuit method" in a couple of different recipes, but it took a long time for me to find a recipe that the biscuits as dumplings didn't taste like biscuits or have biscuit texture if that makes sense. Also this recipe calls for a whole fryer chicken.. I tried that whole cut it up and use the pieces thing and it was a pain.. I think it is well worth it to just buy a spinning hen (rotisserie chicken) from the store for about $5 that is already cooked.

Chicken and Dumplings
1 whole cooked fryer chicken
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 box of chicken stock (I think they are 36 oz)
2 small cans of buttermilk biscuits- cut them in quarters and toss them in flour
3 T butter or margarine
milk (to thin)

Boil the can of cream of chicken soup and the box of broth while you cut up and flour the biscuit dough- add these in and boil 10-15 minutes- do not stir and make sure they are all covered in the broth mixture. After 15 minutes add in the cut up chicken and the butter- if it seems thick or there isn't enough juice in there add in milk as needed- I add probably close to half a cup because I like the juice thin. Cook for another 10 minutes on low- salt and pepper. I serve this over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment