Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Crockpot Applesauce

I had some mealy apples just sitting in my fridge waiting for them to turn bad enough to throw out, so I decided to make applesauce. I saw an article about how to make crockpot applesauce a few weeks back and I really wanted to try it! It is super easy- everyone should make this soon!!

The recipe had measurements, but since apples aren't really in season and as sweet as they could be, I threw the measurements out the window.

I made 2 crock pot batches, but I will give you the recipe for 2 pints of applesauce.

10 apples- cored and chopped- I left the skin on because I am lazy and it is more healthy
toss the apples in a little lemon juice to keep them from browning- put them in the crockpot
I did a handful and a half of brown sugar and covered the top layer of the crockpot with sprinkled cinnamon- 1/2 c hot water and a splash or two of vanilla


I am apologizing in advance for these grainy, poorly lit iPhone photos
The plastic thing in my crockpot is the best thing ever invented, a crockpot liner, so you don't have to wash it- worth the extra money!!

this is after about an hour and a half- I was impatient

Cooking time/level: you have 2 options and it depends on how much of a hurry you are in- last night I wanted applesauce immediately so I did them on high for 3-4 hours until soft- when I decided to make my second batch because I was hooked- it was 11 pm so I did it on low from 11pm-6 am- once your apples are soft throw them in the food processor or blender (my blender takes up less space in the dishwasher so it won)- I bought some canning jars and since the stuff is still really hot the lids seal themselves.



You don't have to can it, you can just eat it that day, but I am really into food hoarding and saving and stuff (and apparently lots of commas in my sentences in this post)


3 pints pictured because I made 2 batches and one jar isn't shown

Sorry if this post is a major run on, etc I just downed a grande caramel macchiato.

1 comment:

  1. Aww, we used to make applesauce all the time when we lived in China. I'm not really sure why, though. I guess my dad wanted to keep us busy, haha! No crock pot there, though, so we just watched a big ol' pot of it cook all day. :) Kudos to you for making your own!! And I am all about that crock pot liner!

    ReplyDelete